Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Day Thirteen - Wary



Oh my, the babies were really, really mad at me today!! They are suddenly very wary of me. They screech their heads off and climb out of the nest, in between the nest and the tank lid. They'd settle down for a second and then one would start hollering ,which would make the other three start hollering too. You can see them trying to get away from me above.

We have major feather progress today, as you can see from the photos. But what is up with the tufts on his head?










The Audobon Society classifies starlings as perching birds, and I can certainly see why. When I pick them up, they cling to me just like a pet bird.

And lastly, a video! This is the babies screeching and trying to get away. The sound isn't as distorted this time either, so you can really hear their prrr-eeps.




I can sort of understand why people would want to keep a starling as a pet. They are so helpless, and its a truly awesome feeling to hold a wild bird. But as William Blake wrote - "A Robin Redbreast in a cage... puts all of heaven in a rage." I know a starling is not as pretty as a robin, or welcomed in spring like the robin, but I think Blake meant all birds. If he didn't, well, I do.

No comments: