Friday, May 16, 2008

Day One - Arrival

May 16th... It's a good day today. Its my wedding anniversary. And it's special because our starlings have hatched!

I thought something might be different. I generally check the nest once a day, in the evening. When I checked last night, Mama was a bit reluctant to come out. She also hung around closer while I peeked, on a tree just a few feet away rather than in her usual place in the evergreen tree. I didn't notice any changes in the nest, but I have read that just before baby birds hatch, their mommas can hear them peeping within the shell. Is it true? I don't know, but our Mama seemed to know something was up.

I checked on the nest earlier today than usual, because I was so curious. Mama Bird sure was mad! But she isn't aggressive. Some species will attack you if you are near the nest, but Mama Starling just scolds me from a distance.

Here's what I found when I peeked in today...


Its a big ole pile of baby birds!! One egg hasn't hatched. It could have been laid a day late, which means it'll hatch tomorrow, or maybe its a dud. I don't know.

The babies are the most ridiculous looking things you have ever seen. They are almost completely naked and pink, and their wings and feet are extremely small compared to their bellies. Their bellies are totally see through, and you can see their intestines. Their guts look like there is nothing holding them in because the skin there is so thin and transparent.

Their necks are very long in relation to their bodies. There are just a few tiny downy feathers at the base of their necks. Their heads are about the same size as their bellies, and their beaks are way too big for their faces. They have a few long downy feathers on top of their heads. Their eyes aren't as dark as I thought they would be, and they are covered in skin.

They look almost cartoon-like, like they aren't even real. I think God was laughing when he created baby birds, because you can't help but giggle when you see them.

The babies are completely helpless and can barely hold their heads up. They look like they're dead when you first see them because of the pathetic way they lie in the nest, but when they realize you are there they poke their heads up for something to eat. Their bodies are warm and slightly moist and you can feel how incredibly fragile they are when you hold them in your hand.

Feed me! Maybe their beaks are huge so they can get enough to eat. From what I read, these guys'll be adults in about a month, so I guess they need to eat as much as possible to grow that fast.


Try telling this little guy he's an unwanted pest. As far as I'm concerned, a life is a life, and all life is beautiful - even if its a little goofy-looking.

No comments: