Saturday, May 24, 2008

Day Nine - Heat





Today the babies were sick. I was so concerned that I checked them several times throughout the day. They were suffering from the heat. It was only in the low seventies here, but they are enclosed in dark colored metal and it was much hotter in the nest. Their mouths were hanging open and they were literally panting. They weren't nestled together int he nest as usual, in fact they were in danger of falling out because they were all around the edge of the nest, trying to keep cool. Their bodies were very hot too. I am pretty accurate at using the "forehead method" of temperature taking for my children, and based on that I would guess their body temperatures were near 104 or 105 degrees.



I was very concerned, but there was nothing I could do so I just gave them air periodically and I hope they will make it through the night. Tomorrow is forecast to be much the same weather as today... I hope all will be well.

One thing I have noticed growthwise in the babies is they are very good at perching now. They try to perch on my finger when I pick them up. In some places, people keep starlings as pets. I think this is terrible. I don't think any bird should be kept in a cage, unless, of course, it is unable to survive on its own. Supposedly they make all kinds of sounds and are friendly in captivity, but to me this is very sad. See him trying to cling to me finger (below?)

No comments: