Saturday, May 17, 2008

Day Two - Stronger



The babies seem a lot stronger today. Yesterday when I saw them, only one lifted his head to eat. Today all four did. They were peeping in the nest and sounded a lot like baby chickens.
I think peeping is universal to most baby birds because once when I was at Tractor Supply, I saw a bunch of the cutest ducklings you ever saw, and they were peeping like chicks.

The babies don't seem to have changed a lot, other than being stronger. One grabbed my finger and tried to swallow it. It felt like suction, just like a mammal baby.



The fifth egg has not hatched. I'm sure its a dud. I hope so, because if it hatches now, that baby will be much smaller than its siblings and will most likely die.



Their ridiculous grins remind me of The Joker.

One thing I am worried about... when I went to see them this evening, Mama Starling was not around. I didn't hear her either. I think she was probably getting food, because starlings eat mostly insects, and dusk in our rural area is insect heaven. I don't think the babies could survive the night if she has abandoned the nest. If she has and they do survive, I will take them to a lady I know who is a wildlife rehabber. I don't think she would abandon them though. She is a good Mama.

No comments: