Sunday, May 25, 2008

Day Ten - Feather Progress



Well I worried about the heat for nothing. The babies are absolutely fine. They seemed hot today too, but as soon as the chill hits the air, they are huddled together in the nest again. You can see them below, all huddled. Sorry its blurry, I'm not the greatest photographer and when I visit the birds I try tro make the vistis as brief as possible... thirty seconds tops.


They seem to be developing a fear of me. They are very wary and don't peep for food when i come near. They flap their wings and try to get away when I hold them for a photo op. Maybe its just because birds naturally have beady eyes - but I really think they are looking at me with distrust. This makes me very happy, because it means they haven't imprinted on me at all and are becoming normal, adolescent starlings.

Their feathers are making great progress! I don't know if the picture really captures it accurately though. Like I said they aren't liking the handling too much so I can't get a really good picture. The feathers are coming out of the pins at the tips. Imagine this - birds covered entirely by bluish gray straight pins, like Grandma sews with. And coming out the end of those pins, a tiny tuft of what could be hair. Its the goofiest thing. They are really comical looking- it seems like each change is funnier than the last.

PS, ignore the date stamp on the photos. I was messing around with my camera and forgot to turn that off when I took the photos. It is, obviously, inaccurate.

No comments: